Saturday, November 12, 2011

What Does It Mean to Inhabit Your Story?

As I said before, I'm working through "Life is a Verb" with a group at Wild Precious Studio. Our first official art project was to create a house and fill it with collage elements representing our stories. Clearly, my brain was refusing to face the real issues.

Once I had the basic house shape down, I thought and thought and thought about what in the house would represent my story. I thought about the various rooms and whatnot. But mostly, I'd covered that in my earlier work and I wasn't in the mood to create a house with those elements and then actually put the answer into words.

Part of the instructions said:
Grab images that call to you without thinking very much about why they are calling to you. Don't plan the final product. Just grab and glue until you have an image that works for you ~ even if this means overlapping images or completely covering some up.

So, I started digging through my collection of collage elements and found a bunch by Tangie Baxter. The collection I'd printed out was mostly fish 'cuz I'm a big fan of the underwater world. Anyway, I turned off my rational brain, started cutting and gluing and playing with crayons and whatnot, and here's what happened.


I finished the right-hand page first and stared at it for a long time. What on earth does That mean? I had thought I was going to do a bunch of journaling on the left-hand page, but once I had made flowers out of paper scraps and added ancient book pages covered with words cut with a Slice, I felt done. Imagine that. An art-journal page with no journaling. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment